As a design professional I have always had a weakness for magazines. When I worked on 20 Park Avenue South in Manhattan I bought at least a dozen magazines a month at the magazine store down the street. That is over and above the magazines I got for free from the agency's traffic department. Language was no barrier, I bought many magazines I could not read to explore alternative publication designs. It may be a hereditary bug; my father's first job out of Pratt was working as a designer at Vogue.
I've cut back on my habit significantly, but on my way back from Houston on Friday I picked up a copy of Good Magazine. I have a weakness for new magazines on the newsstand and this was just the third issue (I still have the first issue of Egg in my office, complete in the advertiser's media kit.)
I recommend this issue for several reasons.
- If you like information design there are some good spreads in the Transparency section.
- The Media Mogul All-Stars trading cards
- The interview with Ira Glass, complete with photo portrait (All these years and this is the first time I've seen his picture)
- An insider's view of the success behind HBO titled Not TV
- The bold attempt at naming the 51 Best Magazines Ever
As a magazine fan I enjoyed reading down the list looking for my own favorites, some of which are represented, some of which are not. What I found more entertaing was the bravado of a magazine publishing a "best magazines ever" article in their third edition out the door when almost half of new magazines don't last a year.